Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Evolution; movies; poetry

In the news, Utah voted down an anti-science bill questioning the validity of the theory of evolution because there are "scientists" who don't think it works. In other news, Crest has fought off a push to include the following warning on their toothpaste tubes:
Only 9 out of 10 Dentists agree that flouride toothpaste reduce cavities. Since there are dissenting Dentists, you're probably better off gargling with Coke.

Feb. 27, 2006 Monday

I watched "Sideways" [5/10] today. It was a boring romp through southern California filled with drunk driving, cheating, and a smattering of redeeming funny scenes. If there was a category for Depressing Comedy, it'd qualify.

I also got a kick out of the warning that plays automatically at the start of DVD movies, telling us not to pirate the legitimate movie we're watching. The irony is that you can buy a movie with a built in lecture, or you can download the same movie that doesn't force you to watch warning screens and previews you don't want. I watched this movie "legally", but I'd have had wasted less time doing it "illegally".

It's been a while since I wrote any poetry
I'm writing one now though as you can see
Sure the meter's not right, and the tune is too slow
But a good line is coming before you will go
It's not this line though, you'll have to keep reading
It's almost here now, I'm not being misleading
OK, you caught me, I had nothing special planned
With writing like this, my poetry should be banned.
- By Saskboy

Haloscan |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home